Virtual Panel: The Falun Gong Human Rights Crisis in China – Updates, Global Impacts, and Next Actions
Online | July 20, 2021
Moderated by Freedom House’s Sarah Cook (Research Director of China, Hong Kong, and Taiwan) and featuring experts and a torture survivor, this insightful panel discussion explores the current state of this human rights crisis, its global implications, and what further action can be taken by the U.S. government and others to curb ongoing horrific abuses and support victims.
July 20th marks exactly 22 years since the Chinese Communist Party launched a massive campaign to eliminate the Falun Gong spiritual movement in China. Millions of Falun Gong practitioners in China have since been imprisoned, tortured, or killed, including through forced organ harvesting.
The party’s persecution of Falun Gong has also extended far beyond China’s borders, resulting in censorship, cyber attacks, and transnational repression affecting believers in dozens of countries.
Sarah Cook, Research Director for China, Hong Kong, and Taiwan, Freedom House
- Johnnie Moore Jr., Former Commissioner, U.S. Commission on International Religious Freedom &
- President, Congress of Christian Leaders
- Erping Zhang, Director of government and advocacy, Falun Dafa Information Center
- Levi Browde, Executive Director, Falun Dafa Information Center
- Dr. Jessica Russo, Board Member, Doctors Against Forced Organ Harvesting
- Weiyu Wang, Survivor of Chinese Prison and Torture, Former PhD Candidate at Tsinghua University