Seven Practitioners of Falun Gong Killed in China Under Jiang Zemin’s Persecution

Police Place Victim's Family Under House Arrest to Keep Information from Leaking Out

NEW YORK, June 21, 2002 (Falun Dafa Information Center) – Sources inside China have confirmed the deaths of seven more Falun Gong practitioners at the hands of Chinese police. The latest deaths follow the well-established pattern of violent police brutality followed by extensive cover-up attempts.

Those most recently reported dead are:

– Li Jilu, a 37 year-old woman from Hubei Province

– Dai Xiaojing, a 61 year-old woman from Henan Province

– Zhao Fulan, a 59 year-old woman from Heilongjiang Province

– Wu Baowang, a 36 year-old man from Heilongjiang Province

– Yang Fengbin, a 45 year-old man from Shandong Province

– Zheng Wenqin, a woman from Heilongjiang Province

– Hao Runjuan, a woman from Guangzhou City

May 20, 2002: Woman Beaten to Death and Her Family Placed Under House Arrest

Li Jilu, a 37-year-old woman from Xifan Village, Machen City, Hubei Province, was arrested on May 15 by ten policemen from the local areas. Upon breaking into Ms. Li’s home, the police proceeded to brutally beat her right on the spot, breaking one of her ribs sources in China say. She was then detained and went on a hunger strike to protest. Local police officials took her to Longchi Police Station for interrogation on May 20. She was again severely beaten. By the end of the day, Ms. Li was dead.

Sources report that after Ms. Li’s death, the police declared that she had committed suicide by jumping from a building. The police then placed her relatives and friends under house arrest and denied them the right to view her body. Soon after, these sources say, the police cremated Ms. Li’s body without her family’s permission, destroying the evidence of their crime.

April 25, 2002: Elderly Woman Succumbs to Brutal Force-Feeding After 18-Day Hunger Strike

Dai Xiaojing, 61, from Zhengzhou City, Henan Province, was arrested in March 2002 and detained at the Zhongyuan Detention Center. During her detention, Ms. Dai went on a hunger strike for 18 days without water, enduring repeated force-feeding by the police. Seeing her rapidly deteriorating physical condition, the police released her. Sources inside China have confirmed that not long after, on April 25, 2002, she quietly passed away at her home.

It is common practice in Chinese detention centers for untrained officials or even fellow inmates to carry out the force-feeding procedure as a form of torture and often results in internal bleeding and other complications. Well over 50 practitioners of Falun Gong are known to have died from force-feeding.

May 31, 2002: 59-Year-Old Retiree Dies From Abuse in Mental Hospital

Zhao Fulan, a 59-year-old woman from Jiamusi City, Heilongjiang Province was arrested on April 11, 2002. After being sent to a detention center and then a forced labor camp, Ms. Zhao ended up at a mental hospital on May 23. As a result of police brutality, Ms. Zhao suffered severe injuries, the most obvious being severe internal bleeding. She went into a coma and passed away 8 days later on May 31, 2002.

May 16, 2002: Police Claims Victim Died from “Multiple Serious Illnesses,” Yet Never Sent Him to the Hospital

Mr. Wu Baowang, 36, was from Qingling Village, Shuangcheng City, Heilongjiang Province. Mr. Wu was beaten to death on May 16 by the Shuangcheng City Police Department, according to sources inside China. When questioned regarding Mr. Wu’s death, the authorities claimed that the victim died from “serious heart problems, illnesses in the lungs, multiple serious illnesses.” Police officials refused to answer questions regarding why such a sick man was not sent to the hospital.

May 5, 2002: Able-Bodied Man Beaten to Death in 26 Days

Yang Fengbin, a man of approximately 45 years old, was a stone quarry worker from Shijian Village, Yantai City, Shandong Province. On April 27, 2002, six police officers and “610 Office” members took him to the local detention center where he suffered brutal torture. On May 23, sources inside China report that the formerly “hearty and able-bodied” Yang Fengbin passed away, 2002 from on-going torture.

May 22, 2002: Woman Tortured to Death While On Hunger Strike

Zheng Wenqin was from Zhaoyuan County, Daqing City, Heilongjiang Province. On May 11, 2002, the police detained Ms. Zheng in Daqing City’s Detention Center, where she began a hunger strike to protest. In a matter of 11 days, Ms. Zheng was beaten and tortured at three different detention centers, refusing to give up her hunger strike. On May 22, Ms. Zheng passed away in Zhaoyuan County Custody Center after another round of brutal beatings.

March 18, 2002: Hao Runjuan from Guangzhou Killed in Police Custody

Hao Runjuan from Baiyun district, Guangzhou city, died in police custody on March 18, 2002. Sources in China say that she was arrested on February 2000 when she was discussing Falun Gong with two students. These sources also say her family has been too scared to report Hao’s death for fear of the local authorities.