Man Sentenced to Another Eight Years After Losing His Wife in the Persecution of Falun Gong

Torture reenactment: Extreme stretching with body suspended in the air.

Torture reenactment: Extreme stretching with body suspended in the air.

A Benxi City, Liaoning Province resident has been taken to the Panjin Prison on June 18, 2022 to serve an eight-year term for his faith in Falun Gong, a spiritual discipline that has been persecuted by the Chinese communist regime since 1999.

Mr. Wu Chengjun, a 57-year-old former worker of Benxi City Steel Company, was arrested at home on October 15, 2020 by more than 20 officers. His computer, printer and Falun Gong related items were confiscated. He was held at the Liaoyang City Detention Center and his arrest was approved on November 20.

Judge Wang Sijie of the Hengren County Court held a virtual hearing of Mr. Wu’s case on July 21, 2021. His lawyer entered a not guilty plea for him. Wang sentenced him to eight years and fined him 50,000 yuan on December 1.

Days after Mr. Wu was taken to the Panjin Prison in mid-June 2022, a guard surnamed Wang called his family and said they weren’t allowed to meet with or call him. They were prohibited from making cash deposits or sending clothes for him. Wang also revealed that Mr. Wu would be transferred to another prison after one month of strict management in Panjin Prison.

Past Persecution Terms

Since the onset of the persecution, Mr. Wu has served three labor camp terms for a total of six years for upholding his faith.

On July 20, 1999, the day when the persecution started, Mr. Wu was put on a two-week detention by his workplace. He was given one month of criminal detention in October that year and then 15 days of administrative detention.

Mr. Wu was arrested again in November 2002 and held at a brainwashing center during the Chinese Communist Party’s 16th Congress.

After Mr. Wu was given a two-year labor camp term in 2004, his wife fell ill after living under pressure and fear for years. She died of heart failure in 2006. She was 42.

Mr. Wu was arrested again in 2008. The police first cut off his power supply at night and then pried open his door to break in. His daughter, a senior high school student who was preparing for the college entrance exam, was deeply terrified. The young woman was dealt another heavy blow when Mr. Wu was given another two-year forced labor camp term shortly after.

Only months after he was released, Mr. Wu was arrested again on October 28, 2010 while at work. He was given a third two-year term at the Benxi City Forced Labor Camp.

For all three labor camp terms, the police accused him of “disrupting social order,” simply because he had Falun Gong books at home.

While he was held in the labor camp, the guards attempted to force him to give up Falun Gong through torture, including beating, electric shocks, extreme stretching and forced labor.


Wang Sijie (王思杰), judge of Hengren County Court: +86-18641468567, +86-24-48871870

Yan Han (严寒), prosecutor of Hengren County Procuratorate: +86-13942445010, +86-24-48860307

Sun Kai (孙凯), head of Beidi Police Station: +86-13942418099

Based on an original report by