Febuary 6, 2007- Falun Gong News Bulletin
Monitoring the Falun Gong Human Rights Crisis in China
- NEW REPORT FURTHER DOCUMENTS GRISLY HARVESTING OF FALUN GONG ORGANS
- ACTIVISTS CONTINUE TO MOBILIZE TO END ORGAN HARVEST HORRORS
- REPORTS OF TORTURE, ABUSE IN CUSTODY POUR IN AS NEW YEAR BEGINS
NEW REPORT FURTHER DOCUMENTS GRISLY HARVESTING OF FALUN GONG ORGANS
Former Canadian Secretary of State David Kilgour and international human rights lawyer David Matas have released a newly-expanded investigative report into organ harvesting from Falun Gong practitioners in hospitals across China. The report presents a range of new testimony and disturbing evidence from hospitals and organ recipients; the involvement of China’s army becomes particularly apparent in the report. The authors have called on all states to ban what is being called “transplant tourism” to China, among other recommendations. “Once a customer arrives in China, somebody is killed for the organ,” according to Matas. New findings in the report include:
- Donor testimony that operations are done in secretive fashion, suggesting cover up of a crime;
- Heavy military involvement in the organ transplant business;
- Additional admissions from hospitals that they possess Falun Gong organs for transplant.
- Further testimony from Falun Gong victim witnesses about systematic blood testing of only Falun Gong practitioners in detention and the disappearance of massive numbers of adherents in detention;
- The building of dedicated facilities for organ transplants without any identifiable source for transplants other than prisoners;
- Corroborating studies from other independent researchers coming to the same conclusion as the Kilgour-Matas report.
- Failure to implement law put in force July 1, 2006, prohibiting organ harvesting without consent;
- The absence of any meaningful answer or contradiction from the Government of China to the first version of the report;
- The absence of an organ donation system in China.
Full report and media coverage available at: http://organharvestinvestigation.net/
ACTIVISTS CONTINUE TO MOBILIZE TO END ORGAN HARVEST HORRORS
Practitioners of the Falun Gong, human rights activists, and members of government continue to raise concerns and press China for answers over the Kilgour-Matas report, despite blanket denials and blocked attempts at investigation by China’s communist regime. In recent weeks the organ harvesting crimes have been the subject of informational booths at California State Fullerton; film screenings in France; a march to Prague in the Czech Republic; and a speech at the Ebenezer Baptist Church in Atlanta, Georgia, on Martin Luther King Day. Meanwhile, in Malaysia over 10,000 signatures have been collected and presented to the government calling for measures to end the organ crimes in China.
REPORTS OF TORTURE, ABUSE IN CUSTODY POUR IN AS NEW YEAR BEGINS
The Information Center has received reports of 75 new cases of torture and abuse in custody, unlawful arrests and imprisonment, and other rights abuses in China specific to Falun Gong believers since the start of the new year. A typical case is that of Mr. Wu Yinchang, a 41-year-old pharmacist formerly employed at Xiyuan Hospital of the Academy of Traditional Chinese Medicine in Beijing. Wu’s life is believed to be at risk following prolonged torture, starvation, sleep deprivation, and other abuses while held in custody at the Qianjin Prison, ninth division, in Beijing. He is serving a 7-year sentence for the “crime” of having mailed informational material about Falun Gong via the postal system. Sources in China report seeing Wu’s body covered with blisters and bruises following prolonged beatings. He has reportedly been locked in a small, dark cell restricting movement for up to months on end, and is routinely denied sleep in an attempt to break Wu’s will and force a “renunciation” of Falun Gong. Family indicate that he has trouble walking now. The Information Center is calling for Wu’s immediate and unconditional release and access to necessary medical attention.