May 30, 2007: Falun Gong News Bulletin
Monitoring the Falun Gong Human Rights Crisis in China
- MINISTRY DIRECTIVE AIMS TO BAR THOUSANDS FROM 2008 OLYMPICS
- TO DESTROY TORTURE EVIDENCE, AUTHORITIES ORDER BODY CREMATED
- CHINESE POLICE DESTROY SATELLITE DISHES
- CHINA’S MINISTER OF INFORMATION INDUSTRY SUED IN WASHINGTON D.C.
- CHINA’S COMMERCE MINISTER SERVED WITH LAWSUIT IN CANADA
MINISTRY DIRECTIVE AIMS TO BAR THOUSANDS FROM 2008 OLYMPICS
In what may be its most audacious Olympic act yet, China’s Ministry of Public Security has issued an incredible directive that lists 43 categories of unwanteds who are to be investigated and barred from the 2008 Beijing Olympics, the Falun Dafa Information Center has learned. Pariah groups include eerily vague “key individuals in ideological fields,” “overseas hostile forces,” “counter-revolutionary” figures, the Dalai Lama and all affiliates, members of “religious entities not sanctioned by the state” (e.g. Roman Catholics), “individuals who instigate discontentment toward the Chinese Communist Party through the Internet,” and even certain types of “handicapped” persons.
Members of the Falun Gong would be barred, as would “family members of deceased persons” killed in “riots” — a euphemism for events such as the Tiananmen Massacre — and Uighur Muslims in Xinjiang province, which the regime brands “national separatists.” Only at the very bottom of the directive does it identify “violent terrorists” and members of “illegal organizations” as targets for investigation and possible barring.
To be investigated are foreign athletes, members of the media, Olympic staff members, referees, sponsors, dignitaries, and the International Olympic Committee itself, among others, to determine whether they fall into any of the 43 categories. If carried out, the directive would amount to an espionage effort of astounding proportions, and would fly in the face of international law.
Full story: /displayAnArticle.asp?ID=9490
TO DESTROY TORTURE EVIDENCE, AUTHORITIES ORDER BODY CREMATED
On May 16, 2007, the Procuratorate and Health Bureau of China’s Xinjiang Army Corps ordered Ms. Cao Aihua’s family to cremate Cao’s body, thereby erasing all hope for justice in the torture-related death.
A native of Aksu city, Xinjiang province, Cao was arrested in August 2006 while passing out informational materials; sources indicate that the materials discussed the wave of withdrawals from the Chinese Communist Party, said to now be over 22 million. While in detention, Cao was tortured several times in an attempt to extract information from her as to the source of her materials. Cao reportedly refused.
In November, Cao was sent to the Urumqi Women’s Labor Camp. During a visit from her husband shortly after her arrival at the camp, Cao disclosed that she had been physically beaten by camp guards. On November 13, Cao’s husband was notified that she was dead. Upon examining Cao’s body, her husband discovered wounds on her back indicating bludgeoning. Since her death, Cao’s family has been desperately seeking justice, going so far as to guard Cao’s corpse in a frigid, rented room of a funeral parlor in northwestern China, all with the aim of preserving evidence that she was tortured to death.
Full report: /displayAnArticle.asp?ID=9476
CHINESE POLICE DESTROY SATELLITE DISHES
Clearwisdom.net recently reported that Chinese police in Henan province have been confiscating and destroying privately-installed satellite dishes used to view television broadcasts from abroad. Some twenty people, including elderly residents, were arrested for arguing with the police over the dishes’ removal.
“Satellite dishes for homes have quietly spread throughout China,” the report says. “People can buy them for only about $25 [U.S.] and can receive several dozen TV channels, including overseas stations. The Chinese people have become annoyed and bored watching [state-run] CCTV news and all the false reports everywhere inside China and listening to the propaganda…”
Full story: http://www.clearwisdom.net/emh/articles/2007/5/15/85643.html
CHINA’S MINISTER OF INFORMATION INDUSTRY SUED IN WASHINGTON D.C.
The Epoch Times, May 26, 2007 – “China’s Minister of Information Industry, Mr. Wang Xudong, while accompanying Chinese Vice Premier Ms. Wu Yi on an official trip to Washington, was sued Friday morning by Falun Gong [practitioners] for major violations of human rights… Attorney Terri Marsh said that they filed a lawsuit against Wang for major violations of human rights [committed while serving] as the Secretary of the Chinese Communist Party’s Hebei Province Committee between June 2000 and November 2002…[Under Wang,] Hebei became one of the provinces with the worst records of human rights violations against Falun Gong adherents. After Wang became the Minister of Information Industry, he continued to push the CCP’s policy of persecuting Falun Gong via telecommunications technology, such as phone tapping, audio recording, mobility tracking, monitoring the Internet, etc.”
Full story: http://en.epochtimes.com/news/7-5-26/55734.html
CHINA’S COMMERCE MINISTER SERVED WITH LAWSUIT IN CANADA
On Monday, May 28, 2007, visiting Chinese Commerce Minister Mr. Bo Xilai was served with a civil lawsuit at the Westin Hotel in Ottawa for torture and crimes against humanity. Bo is widely regarded as a key figure in the Chinese Communist Party’s brutal campaign to “eradicate” Falun Gong. While Bo was Governor of Liaoning Province, hundreds of Falun Gong practitioners were tortured to death, with thousands more suffering severe torture and abuse in labor camps and detention facilities throughout the province. Recent reports from former Canadian MP and Secretary of State (Asia-Pacific) David Kilgour and human rights attorney David Matas show substantial evidence of large-scale organ seizures from murdered Falun Gong practitioners in Liaoning province. (report)
Ms. Lingdi Zhang, whose father had been tortured in a Chinese labor camp, personally served Bo with the lawsuit in the elevator of the Westin Hotel after he returned from a meeting at Canada’s Foreign Affairs office.