Beijing Juvenile Correction Facility

The Beijing Juvenile Correction Facility is 13 miles from the National Speed Skating Oval being used during the Olympics, where the speed skating event is held.

Beijing Juvenile Correction Facility belongs to the Beijing Prison Administration Bureau and is an underground centre for the persecution of Falun Gong. Forced labor was implemented here as early as 2001. There are no fixed working hours, and the authorities routinely extended the work hours to as long as 16 hours. From November 2000 to February 2003, there were a total of 49 confirmed cases of female Falun Gong practitioners detained in Section No.9 of this prison, with ages ranging from 18 to 72.

The methods the guards use to persecute Falun Gong also include extended periods of sleep deprivation, 24-hour surveillance by criminal inmates, physical torture, counterfeiting fake spiritual texts, slander, personal attacks, physical slave labor, brainwashing, mandatory viewing of anti-Falun Gong propaganda films, being forced to write pages denouncing Falun Gong and singing praises to CCP, and forced organ harvesting.

The facility’s exterior walls are fully encased by high-voltage electric wires and there is a tall watchtower facing every cardinal direction. Armed police are stationed 24/7 and even patrol the automated gate entrance. Inside is a K-shape building for jail cells that are installed with an automated voice, video surveillance and alarm systems that are directly connected to the Beijing Prison Administration Bureau. The surveillance system monitors every corner of the prison.

Featured Prisoners of Conscience

Mrs. Liu Jinghang in 2007 during a press conference in Australia.

Mrs. Liu Jinghang from Sydney, Australia was detained here for three years. She published her experiences online in 2004 and recounted them publicly in 2007.

Falun Gong practitioners were forced to have physical check-ups, and those who were appropriate organ matches would be chosen as suppliers for organ transplants. She said, “From June to November in 2000, I was detained at Beijing’s Xicheng Detention Center. All of the detained Falun Gong practitioners were forced to have a physical check-up. We had our blood pressure and heart checked, and had a blood test. The CCP tortured us with various means, but they spent money giving us a physical check-up. Other criminals who were ill requested a check-up, but were refused. Those criminals were surprised and puzzled.”

Her blood was tested twice. During the first time, Liu used all her strength to resist, and finally the nurse was unable to draw her blood and left. The police guards were very angry and cuffed her hands and feet to the frames of a metal bed, and force-fed her some unknown drug. On the second, Liu and five other Falun Gong practitioners underwent a detailed check-up under the threat of the police who held electric batons. This included a blood test, electrocardiogram, X-rays, urine test and so on.

A large number of Falun Gong practitioners from outside Beijing who refused to give their names and addresses were transferred in one to two weeks. Their whereabouts are still unknown. She said, “I understand now that the CCP secretly detained Falun Gong practitioners as prisoners waiting for execution, and also treated them as a huge live organ bank. The practitioners had their blood tested one by one, and they would be killed at any time so long as their organs matched the required ones in organ transplant operations.”

Two Falun Gong practitioners from the military were locked up in the Juvenile Detention Center in the early 2000s. Liu Xizhen was an English professor and advisor of doctorate students from the Air Force Command Institute. Li Chaoran was the Principal Doctor of Gynecology and Obstetrics in the Army Hospital. Both women were arrested at Liu Xizhen’s house while discussing their plans to go to Tiananmen Square. They were arrested for the supposed crime of “planning to go to Tiananmen Square for a Falun Gong activity” and were illegally sentenced to five and four years in prison, respectively.

Ms. Jiang Changfeng, a 72-year old retired cadre, worked for the government all her life. She was unlawfully sentenced to ten years because she cooked food for practitioners who were in charge of printing truth-clarification materials. She was constipated for seven days from the harsh distress suffered in the Juvenile Detention Center. Her face was so full of pus and swollen that she could not open her eyes. Under the circumstances, they still continued to physically torture her day and night and enforce brainwashing sessions. Her husband, Yu Zhangxin, was a high level cadre in the air force. He was illegally sentenced to 18 years in prison for being a fellow of the Falun Dafa Research Group. He is currently serving the sentence in the military prison.