After 11 Years Imprisonment and Torture, Jilin Man Dies

By | Sep 26, 2020

Police and guards suffocate and knock teeth out of man for practicing Falun Gong.

A Nong’an County, Jilin Province Falun Gong practitioner passed away on August 26, 2020, a month and a half after being arrested in a police sweep for Falun Gong. His wife was arrested with him and is still detained at the time of writing.

Falun Gong, also known as Falun Dafa, is an ancient spiritual and meditation discipline that has been persecuted by the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) since 1999.

Mr. Jiang Quande and his wife, Ms. Sun Xiuying, were arrested at home on July 15, 2020. Due to prior persecution, Mr. Jiang had a serious medical condition with his body being frail and weak, but the police still took him into custody.

After being released about two weeks later, Mr. Jiang remained on daily IV drips to sustain his life. The police refused to release his wife, despite the fact the he was in dire need of assistance.

On August 26, 2020, Mr. Jiang passed away, four days after the Nong’an County Procuratorate approved his wife’s arrest.

Torture through Forced Labor

Mr. Jiang was first arrested in September 1999 and arbitrarily detained by the authorities for 60 days. The guards made him sit on a small stool for long hours without moving. When they did allow him to get up, they ordered him to do hard labor, such as carrying bags of beans that weighed over 200 pounds.

Not long after being released, he was arrested again in early 2000 and detained for 30 days.

He went to Beijing to appeal for the right to practice Falun Gong in February 2000, and was arrested yet again. After three weeks of detention, he was given one year of forced labor, which was later extended by six months when he refused to renounce his faith.

During a labor-camp-wide meeting on April 28, 2001, Mr. Jiang stopped a guard from defaming Falun Gong in front of other inmates, and was thus savagely beaten and held in solitary confinement for a month.

About a year after Mr. Jiang was released, he was arrested again on November 8, 2002, for making informational materials about Falun Gong. The police sat him on one end of a long bench with his legs tied to the bench. They suffocated him with a plastic bag while piercing his fingers and nipples with sharpened bamboo sticks.

The police also cuffed his hands behind his back and then violently yanked his hands over the front of his head. They repeated this more than ten times until his arm was broken. He became disabled as a result.

Mr. Jiang was later sentenced to 11 years and sent to Shiling Prison on January 17, 2004. Because he resisted, he was given two months solitary confinement, was tied to a “death bed” in an excruciating spread-eagle position, and had most of his teeth knocked out from savage beatings.

On November 4, 2005, Mr. Jiang was transferred to Gongzhuling Prison and again given the “death bed” torture. Guards tied him up naked, refused to untie him even when he had to relieve himself, then shocked him repeatedly with several electric batons simultaneously.

After 11 years of unimaginable suffering, Mr. Jiang returned home on November 11, 2013.

His body never recovered from the torture and he died on August 26, 2020.

A version of this report was originally published on Minghui: