54-year-old Man Denied Medical Parole, Dies Two Months After Being Imprisoned

Mr. Yue Caiyun passed away at the age of 54, merely two months after being imprisoned. He was illegally sentenced to one year and four months in prison, where authorities denied him medical parole, despite his health being in critical condition. Yue had been arrested on August 21, 2020, in Hangzhou City, Zhejiang Province on the charge of mailing Falun Gong informational materials.

Detention and Decline

Yue was taken to the Red Cross Detention Center in Xiaoshan District after his arrest. He was held at the detention center for four months, the entire duration in which he held a hunger strike and was often force-fed. The detention center doctor also injected him with unknown drugs every day he was there. 

Torture reenactment: Tied up

In late December 2020, Yue was sentenced to one year and four months at the Hangzhou No. 2 Prison. He continued his hunger strike after being taken to the prison. 

The prison authorities barred his family from visiting him and denied their request to release him on medical parole, despite his critical condition. The prison even claimed that he had hurt himself on purpose.

On February 24, 2021, the prison informed Yue’s family that he had just passed away. According to his son, who saw Yue’s body in the hospital, he was emaciated. The prison denied any responsibility for Yue’s death. They threatened his family not to expose it or they would lose their jobs. The prison gave Yue’s family 30,000 yuan as a final settlement. 

Brutal Torture in a Forced Labor Camp

Prior to being imprisoned in Hangzhou, Yue was previously given an unknown term at Henan Province No. 3 Forced Labor Camp and was subjected to a series of inhumane torture. 

In a labor camp-wide campaign to force the practitioners to renounce Falun Gong in May 2003, the guards deprived Yue of sleep for seven days, tied him up over twenty times, and shocked him with electric batons. The method of tying torture was one of the most frequently used torture methods at the labor camp. In this torture, the guards tied up his arms behind his back with thin rope and pulled them up. Half an hour later, the guards would tighten up the rope and pull his hands up again. The pain was excruciating.

After the tying torture failed to make Yue waver in his faith, the guards tried the “Roasting a Whole Sheep” torture on him. In the torture, the guards cuffed his hands and feet to a rail and flipped him over. He was hung up this way for three days. 

Torture illustration: “Roasting a Whole Sheep”

As Yue still stayed firm in his faith, the guards tied him in a chair and forced him to listen to audio recordings slandering Falun Gong all day long. The guards threatened to torture him to death if he did not give up Falun Gong. 

As a result of the torture, Yue had injuries all over his body. He was bedridden for a long time and became incapacitated. He was also crippled due to his leg injuries.

The guards also tortured him by pulling him by the collarbone with a metal chain and brushing his anus with a toothbrush. 

Shortly after he was released, his wife, also a Falun Gong practitioner, was arrested in August 2005 while working in their crop field and directly given one year at Shibalihe Forced Labor Camp in Zhengzhou City, Henan Province. In her absence, her bedridden husband and their school-age child struggled to fend for themselves. 

Original Article: https://en.minghui.org/html/articles/2021/3/13/191378.html