Young Man Dies from Torture Suffered at Hospital and Detention Center

Police Brutality Claims the Lives of Seven More Falun Gong Practitioners in China

NEW YORK, September 1, 2002 (Falun Dafa Information Center) — With severe internal injuries and head trauma sustained at the hands of police, 28-year-old Yu Zhenyi arrived at the hospital expecting treatment. Instead, he was tortured for another month.

Mr. Yu was sent home from the hospital on May 29, 2002, in critical condition and died two weeks later.

Mr. Yu’s case was first reported on August 27 — the same day the World Psychiatric Association voted to investigate atrocities perpetrated in Chinese mental hospitals. Chinese authorities are reportedly using mental hospitals as institutions for imprison and torture of prisoners of conscience.

“This appalling case reveals just how pervasive the campaign of persecution being waged by Jiang’s regime really is,” notes Falun Dafa Information Center spokesperson Gail Rachlin. “Even in the hospital, Falun Gong practitioners cannot escape torture at the hands of the police.”

The extent to which Chinese authorities employ mental institutions to carry out politically motivated torture and persecution is not fully known, though several cases of long-term abuse of Falun Gong practitioners have been documented.

The Falun Dafa Information Center has confirmed the following deaths:

  • Mr. Yu Zhenyi, 28, from Harbin City, Heilongjiang Province
  • Dr. Pu Shigao, 60’s, professor at Yanbian Medical School in Jilin Province
  • Ms. Wu Jingfang, 51, from Jieyang City, Guangdong Province
  • Ms. Huang Weijun, 50, from Jieyang City, Guangdong Province
  • Ms. Li Xiaojing, 30’s, instructor at Guangzhou University
  • Mr. Yang Zhonghai, 30’s, from Suiling City, Heilongjiang Province
  • Mr. Song Huaping, 43, from Yingcheng City, Hubei Province

Healthy Young Man’s Life Devastated by Torture; Sent Home by Hospital in Critical Condition

Yu Zhenyi, 28, was from Harbin City, Heilongjiang Province. Mr. Yu was arrested in September 19, 1999. After being passed back and forth between various detention centers and jails for two years, Mr. Yu was finally sentenced to four years in prison in September of 2001 due to his practice of Falun Gong. After enduring a prolonged period of detention and torture, Mr. Yu’s health declined rapidly. When Mr. Yu was sent to the emergency room on April 25, 2002, the hospital staff found him to be suffering from severe head trauma, extensive internal injuries, and a broken front tooth. Shockingly, Mr. Yu was subjected to more torture in the hospital, where according to his own account, 4-5 people held him down and injected an unknown substance into his head. On May 29, the hospital sent Mr. Yu home in critical condition, where he passed away on June 14.

Medical Professor Tortured to Death and Hastily Cremated

Pu Shigao, in his 60’s, was a practitioner of Falun Gong from Yanbian City, Jilin Province and a professor at Yanbian Medical School. Dr. Pu was arrested by the local police and brutally tortured in the detention center. In the morning of August 19, 2002, Dr. Pu’s condition deteriorated to the point where he could not speak, and he passed away on August 21. His body was then hastily cremated in an attempt to cover up his death. When reporters called about Dr. Pu’s death, the hospital claimed that he died at the detention center, while detention center staff directed the inquiry to the hospital.

Two Women from the Same City Tortured to Death Within Weeks of Each Other

Wu Jingfang, 51, was from Jieyang City, Guangdong Province. After learning to practice Falun Gong, Ms. Wu was able to rid herself of several illnesses that had plagued her for many years. Ms. Wu refused to give in to relentless torture and persisted in practicing Falun Gong despite being arrested and tortured several times since she was first detained at the beginning of 2001. On April 11, 2002, Ms. Wu was killed by the local police’s brutal torture and cremated on the same day.

Huang Weijun, 50, was arrested by the same Jieyang police in May of 2002. After Ms. Huang went on a hunger strike in protest, and the police only tortured her even more viciously. Following ten days of torture, Ms. Huang passed away.

Female University Instructor Locked into Isolation Room and Tortured to Death Overnight

Li Xiaojing, in her 30’s, was an instructor at Guangzhou University. On the night of June 27, 2002, Ms. Li was kidnapped by the local police and taken to a brainwashing center in order to coerce her to abandon her practice of Falun Gong. She was locked into a solitary room and endured a night of untold horrors. The next evening at 6 p.m., an ambulance arrived to retrieve her body. The room in which Ms. Li passed away was then quickly sealed off by the authorities.

Man Dies from Repeated Forced-feedings

Yang Zhonghai, in his 30’s, was from Suiling City, Heilongjiang Province. Mr. Yang was first arrested in December of 2000 due to his practice of Falun Gong. The detention center extended his term from 15 days, then to 3 months, and finally to one year. During this time, Mr. Yang held hunger strikes repeatedly and was brutally beaten and force-fed with various substances such as urine, milk, highly concentrated salt water, and water mixed with chili peppers. On December 29, 2001, police broke into Mr. Yang’s home and arrested him again. His health worn down by the relentless torture and force-feedings, Mr. Yang passed away on May 19, 2002.

Man Arrested Six Times and Tortured to Death

Song Huaping, 43, was from Yingcheng City, Hubei Province. Mr. Song was arrested by the police under one pretense or another, tortured, released, and arrested again — this cycle repeating six times. In late June of 2002, the police beat Mr. Song within an inch of his life and released him to escape responsibility. On July 31, Mr. Song passed away from injuries sustained from the police brutality.