URGENT APPEAL: Henan Agriculture University Graduate Suffering Severe Torture, Near Death
50-Days into Hunger Strike to Protest On-Going Beatings, Torture
NEW YORK (FDI) — Reports from China indicate that 29-year-old Xu Song is currently being detained and tortured at the First Detention Center in Zhengzhou City, Henan Province, because he is a practitioner of Falun Gong. To protest the brutality, Mr. Song went on a hunger strike that, as of January 3, has lasted more than 50 days (full story).
Sources also say that Mr. Song has suffered forced-feedings in the detention center. Many Falun Gong practitioners have died from forced-feedings in China’s labor camps and detention centers.
- The Story of Mr. Xu Song
- Amnesty International’s report on torture in China
- Common Torture methods
- Why the persecution against Falun Gong?
- What is Falun Gong?
We encourage media, government officials, human rights organizations and individuals to make phone calls to report on and/or appeal for Xu Song’s life:
- Department of Public Security of Henan Province: 86-371-5991155, call the two section chiefs (both have the same last name, Li) of the City’s Second Section.
- “610 Office” (about) of Henan Province: 86-371-5902233, 86-371-5904038
- Municipal Public Security Bureau: 86-371-6222023
- Police Substation of Jinshui District: 86-371-6256038
- Henan Provincial Party Committee: 86-371-5902627
Send an email or FAX calling for Mr. Song’s release! (samples)
Recent Reports from China
On November 10, 2002, Mr. Song, a native of Zhengzhou City, Henan Province was arrested for the fourth time in the past two years for his practice of Falun Gong. Three arrests occurred in 2000, but Mr. Song was released after staging hunger strikes to protest the torture he received.
In February 2001, Mr. Song was again arrested and sent directly to the Baimiao Forced Labor Camp in Zhengzhou where he was given a two-year sentence. Mr. Song was again tortured and beaten severely, but after staging an 80-day hunger strike, authorities at the labor camp were forced to release him or take responsibility for his death.
After this most recent arrest, Song was detained for seven days in the Jinshui Police Substation in Zhengzhou City, where he was beaten and tortured. He was then sent to the First Detention Center in Zhengzhou City where he is currently being held.
Download: as .doc | .htm