Ms. Zong Xiuxia (???)

[Refer to point I on China map ]

Status: Tortured to death

Gender: Female

Age: 55-56

City: Fangzi District, Weifang city, Shandong province

Date of Most Recent Arrest: February 22, 2008

Date of Death: February 22, 2008

Last Place Detained: Guangwen Police Station, Weifang

Known Acquaintances Overseas: None

Other information: Ms. Zong was arrested outside the Jialejia Supermarket at Xinhua Road, Kuiwen District in Weifang


On the morning of February 22, 2008, Ms. Zong Xiuxia was distributing literature about the persecution of Falun Gong near Jialejia Supermarket on Xinhua Road. Someone reported her to the police, and at approximately 11:00 a.m. she was taken to Guangwen Police Station to be interrogated. That night, her family was notified to come down to the police station to identify and claim her body. The time of death is believed to be around 3:00 p.m., four hours after her arrest. Police tried to force the family to announce that Ms. Zong committed suicide.

Ms. Zong Xiuxia began practicing Falun Dafa in 1996. Before then she was often ill, but came to have excellent health after taking on Falun Gong and thus persisted in practicing even once the persecution began.

In 2000, a year after the persecution was officially launched, Ms. Zong traveled from Shandong to Beijing to petition the government to end its campaign against Falun Gong. She was arrested and taken to the Bamalu Detention Center in Fangzi District of Weifang, her hometown. She was detained for a month and 5,000 yuan ($530 USD) were extorted from her family.

Ms. Zong was later detained at the Changning Police Station and was not released until she paid a further 1,000 yuan ($146 USD).
In December 2001, Ms. Zong was arrested and taken to a brainwashing class at the Weifang City Industry Cadre School. After being detained for a month, another 7,000 yuan ($1,020 USD) were extorted from her before she was allowed to return home.
She was 55 or 56 at the time of her death, shortly after this past Chinese New Year.