Memories of Mr. Li Min, a Fellow Practitioner Who Was Persecuted to Death

Some time ago, I heard some sad news: Falun Dafa practitioner Li Min was persecuted to death. I could not help shedding tears. Each and every scene of past encounters I had with him appeared before me.

Li Min and I got to know each other when we were both detained at Changlinzi Forced Labor Camp in Harbin City.

One day in 2001, a fellow practitioner introduced Li Min to me, saying, “He is our fellow practitioner from our hometown.” His demeanor was very kind and honest.

I saw him almost every day after that. I noticed that sometimes the director wanted to have a talk with him. One day, in private, I asked him what the reason was. He told me calmly, “They heard that I had worked at the Finance Bureau so they thought that I must have a lot of money. They expected me to pay them money to let me go home earlier. But I declined their offer because I refuse to cooperate with them [as a matter of principle].” The director later gave up on him and never again had a talk with him.

After we were released from the forced labor camp, we worked together on projects to try and expose the persecution [against our fellow Falun Gong practitioners]. Li Min and I went to the province’s capital city one day to buy some printing materials. An old man who was dressed like a farmer walked toward us. He was asking around about where to buy a printer/scanner. The person next to him said he didn’t know. We had already gone far past him when Li Min suddenly turned around and ran after the old man. He talked to him and gave him something. The old man left happily.

Li Min later told me, “I asked him if he is a practitioner. And actually, he is. So I gave him the business card of the store where printer/scanners are sold. It is not safe for him in his farmer’s clothes to be asking around about computer equipment.”

I was later reported to the police when distributing fliers [about the persecution]. The police station director issued an order prohibiting anybody from visiting me in the detention center.

During the five months that I was in the detention center, I didn’t have a toothbrush. It was worse in prison. I was not allowed to change clothes for more than half a year. All of my clothes were shoddy and tattered. That was the most difficult time in my life. One day a police officer took me to the prison meeting room. When I got there, I found Li Min had come to visit me. He brought me a lot of food and clothes. I was speechless and couldn’t hold back my tears. He always thought of others. Li Min said some encouraging words to me and told me that he would visit me again. He did come to visit me a few times. But I later heard that he had also been arrested and was detained at Daqing Prison.

After I was released from prison, I had a wish to meet Li Min again, but I never got the chance. [He] has left us, but his face and smile still often appear in front of my eyes. His legacy encourages me to do better [on my path of cultivation and in telling more people about the persecution].